5 weeks after the 0.7.2.2 "Lovegood" release, I am very happy to announce the major feature release, 0.8 codenamed "Godsend". Major feature highlights of this release are desktop notifications (with full support of actions, icons, updates, append and sound), messaging menu / indicators (as provided by Ubuntu's Ayatana project) and working Twitter support with OAuth (basic auth was disabled by Twitter on 31st August). This version also fixes all bugs that were reported since the release of 0.7.2.2.
Further on, Smuxi comes with the following improvements in its user interface:
- More distinct nick colors by using a combination of colors
- Use of nick colors for userlists
- Emphasis of own nick in bold, making it easier to distinguish sent messages
- Toggle-able menubar
- Full screen mode support for enhanced netbook experience
- Browse mode support
- Remembering of tab order when reconnecting to a smuxi-server
- Sound support by notification daemons which support this extension
- Display of IRC network name instead of hostname in the tab
- Addition of "Open Log" button for easy viewing of logs.
Smuxi provides better connectivity and security by supporting: HTTP and SOCKS proxies as well as secure connections to IRC servers by using SSL with optional certificate validation.
Last but not least, it comes with an enhanced Twitter experience by supporting the use of multiple Twitter accounts at the same time, reformatting tweets that contain newlines and showing the full retweet instead of a truncated version.
Updated languages includes: French (Clément BOURGEOIS) and German (Bianca Mix)
The #smuxi IRC channel can now also be found, in addition to OFTC, on other popular IRC networks such as freenode and GIMPnet. The messages on #smuxi are automatically relayed between the 3 IRC networks.
If you like Smuxi and want to support it by making micro-donations, Smuxi is available on Flattr.
There are also many other nice FOSS projects available on Flattr, see the Flattr-FOSS project.
Smuxi is available for download from here.
Binary Packages of Smuxi 0.8 are ready to be used by Debian/Experimental, Ubuntu/Maverick, Ubuntu/Lucid (via PPA), OpenSUSE, Foresight Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows.